|Nankatsu middle school soccer club|
|Achievement||14th, 15th and 16th national middle school tournament champion|
Boys' Fight arc Edit
As Tsubasa entered Nankatsu middle school, he soon become a regular in the school soccer club with the number 19 at first. A year later, he will become Nankatsu's captain (#10) and pivot, and all his former teammates from Nankatsu elementary school, as well as some former member of Shutetsu institute soccer team, namely Mamoru Izawa, Teppei Kisugi, Hajime Taki, Shingo Takasugi and Yuzo Morisaki, also followed him and became regulars as well. Thanks to Tsubasa's merits, the team won two national middle school tournaments in a row, with both times defeating Kojiro Hyuga's team, Toho academy, in the National finals.
16th middle school national tournament
For the third school year, former members of Nankatsu elementary such as Oda, Iwami, Nagano and Nakazato joined the team. Due to their inexperience, Nankatsu was a bit weaker than previous years. This year, many Japanese teams objective was to defeat Tsubasa and Nankatsu in the 16th middle school national tournament. During Tsubasa and everyone's third year in middle school, Nankatsu had many hard fights to defend their title in order to achieve their V3 dream which will also allow Tsubasa to be helped to go to Brazil and become a pro player.Munemasa Katagiri saying that "there is no worthy rival in Japan for Tsubasa", many new strong opponents appear, such as Soda's Azumaichi and his Kamisori Shoot. The Tachibana's and Hanawa were a main issue for Tsubasa since he got injured from his shoulder in this match due to the aerial fights he had to manage in order to counter the dangerous Sky Lab Hurricane. Later on, the real "dark horse", Hirado appear, with the power defense Jito and acrobat midfielder Sano where Tsubasa was finally able to master the Drive Shoot in order to counter the 3:0 against Nankatsu and finally winning with a Shutetsu Combi from Kisugi and Taki winning 3:4.
During the semi-finals, both Matsuyama from Furano and Tsubasa were very equal rivals in what means dribble, ball possession, sense of strategy, confidence in a good team-work and both having a long distance power shot. During the game, Matsuyama put up a good fight and was extremely fair play, even aiding Tsubasa to not hurt himself after scoring Furano with a “Do-Or-Die” diving overhead. With his abilities, he developed indeed a long distance ground shot as he hardly train in the snow to develop strong legs and loins, scoring against Morisaki with the Eagle Shot , and make an assistance to forward Oda to score and tie Nankatsu 2:2. When the match was about to end, Tsubasa did a Miracle Drive Shoot, scoring Nankatsu's "V-goal".
After a night's rest and barely recovering from his injuries, Tsubasa was still standing to make it it to the finals as Nankatsu's gamemaker and pivot, with the rival school Toho being their opponent for a third time in a row.
In the National finals, there where some major adversities, since Tsubasa was still heavily injured due to previous matches from both his left shoulder and right leg (left in the manga), who was constantly warned from the tournament physician and coach Furuoya to leave the field since his Drive Shoot put so much strain in his leg, bit noy only that, Morizaki's goal was constantly feable due to Tiger Shot quarrelying since Hyuga can shot from any part of thr field. Lstet on both the Drive Shoot and the Tiger Shot quarreled from one goal area to the other. This time, both teams were equally matched and finally Kojiro was a hard rival to defeat for the soccer genius Tsubasa, who was thought to not have any proper equal to face in Japan anymore.Even so, both team played fair and square even when Tsubasa was injured and Wakashimazu had to defend with only his right arm after receiving two encounters with Tsubasa (one from the Drive Shoot and one in the air where both got injured). Here, Hyuga finally learnt what teamwork meant and also he put at end to his rivarly between him and Tsubasa. With the match undecided (3:3) in both 30 minutes half-times, they went into extra time, where Tsubasa made a Miracle Drive Shoot and Hyuga in the last minutes made a magnificent Tiger Shot Overhead with the help of Sawada by jumping on one of his spikes to gain altitude and beat Nankatsu's defenders, ending the match 4:4. The National Soccer Assocciation decided both teams to be declared champions, earning Nankatsu their V3 and Toho their first V1 in a Middle School tournament.
Post J Boys' Challenge arc Edit
The following year, due to the former starting members graduating, the team, consisting of Tsubasa's underclassmen, lost against Shun Nitta's Otomo during the Shizuoka prefecture qualification round.
- Home colors: White uniform w/ azure stripes (Manga).
- Away colors: Red jersey and white shorts (Manga).
- Other colors:
14th national middle school tournamentEdit
- [Final] ○ Nankatsu 2 - 1 Toho ●
15th national middle school tournamentEdit
- [Final] ○ Nankatsu 1 - 0 Toho ●
16th national middle school tournamentEdit
Shizuoka prefecture tournament
- ○ Nankatsu 6 - 0 Ito ●
- ○ Nankatsu 3 - 0 Kawane ●
- ○ Nankatsu 7 - 1 Hamanaka ●
- [Quarterfinal] ○ Nankatsu 4 - 0 Ootaichi ●
- [Semifinal] ○ Nankatsu 5 - 1 Okabe ●
- [Final] ○ Nankatsu 3 - 1 Otomo ●
- ○ Nankatsu 2 - 1 Azumaichi ●
- ○ Nankatsu 6 - 0 Nishikigaoka ●
- ○ Nankatsu 3 - 2 Hanawa ●
- [Quarterfinal] ○ Nankatsu 4 - 3 Hirado ●
- [Semifinal] ○ Nankatsu 3 - 2 Furano ●
- [Final] Δ Nankatsu 4 - 4 Toho Δ (aet)
17th national middle school tournamentEdit
Shizuoka prefecture tournament
- ● Nankatsu lost against Otomo ○
- Substitute players: 16 DF Manabu Okawa; 15 MF Shogo Yamamori.
- Coach: Takeshi Furuoya
See also Edit
- ↑ They all accepted to study with Tsubasa due to a wise recommendation from Genzo himself, since he was to leave to West Germany and they all needed a pivot captain to lead them.
- ↑ for said reason Matsuyama was even considered to be a greater captain than Tsubasa to lead All Japan Jr. Youth, in direct words of Munemasa Katagiri.
- ↑ aka Northern Country Shot when used exclusively from Matsuyama, since Tsubasa used it later on the International Jr. Youth Tournament against Deuter Müller and Santana is also capable of using said power shot.
- ↑ All Nankatsu Middle School players had to drop the team since they were preparing for the final examinations to be accepted into Nankatsu High School, and Tsubasa was a temporarily aid for the Nankatsu's coach for the six-month period prior to his flight to Brazil with Roberto Hongo.
- ↑ Not part of Nankatsu Soccer club but the Cheerleaders club exclusively in 1983 anime.