|Japanese name||日向 小次郎|
|Height|| 180 cm |
178 cm (BWY)
170 cm (BF, JBC)
158 cm (KD)
|Weight|| 70 kg |
64 kg (BWY)
59 kg (BF, JBC)
50 kg (KD)
|Relationships|| Unnamed father†|
Takeru Hyuga (brother)
Naoko Hyuga (sister)
Masaru Hyuga (brother)
Maki Akamine (girlfriend)
Kozo Kira (mentor)
|Captain Tsubasa chapter 10|
|Youth National||All Japan Youth||9|
|Jr. National||All Japan Jr.||9|
|Junior||Toho Academy High / Mid. school||10-17-10|
Kojiro Hyuga is a major character (sometimes deuteragonist) in the Captain Tsubasa series. He is one of the best players of the Japanese soccer and the Japanese National Team ace striker. He is currently playing for AC Reggiana in Italy Serie B.
His first name, Kojiro, comes from the swordsman Sasaki Kojiro who died in a duel against Miyamoto Musashi (which is a reminder of Mizushima Musashi, the first soccer player who inspired Tsubasa). Hyuga, on the other hand, is the name of an ancient part of Kyushu.
Kojiro is usually cold-hearted and reckless. To these he comes over very arrogant. He was once famous because of his roughness and many players were scared of him. But to the people who are important like his family and Takeshi (later also Tsubasa and other fellow soccer teammates) he is very nice and empathetic. He tries to cheer up the Japan team when Tsubasa is injured and cannot play. Kojiro is very ambitious and full of self-confidence, which can sometimes be very positive. If he has set a goal, he risks everything. The well-being of his fellow-men goes beyond everything, he thinks more of others than of himself. Takeshi and Ken are probably his best friends, because he would never let them down. Hyuga, because he is usually untamed and wild is called "Moko" (Fierce Tiger). But he can also be laid back and calm like the relationship he has with his younger brothers, and friends from the Saitama hometown, where he used to help his family by doing several part-time jobs. This tought but caring personality is how he behaves when he is with Maki Akamine, his first love and current girlfriend. He has a very balanced personality, which strangers do not immediately notice. Bottom line is, Kojiro Hyuga is full of verve and passion when it comes to round leather.
Kids' Dream arc EditWith the death of his father, Hyuga became eager to help his family raise money, in order for him and his siblings to go to middle and high school. So he temporarily left his team to do some part-time work, but also to prove them that they needed him and that his vision of soccer was the right one. When his team was qualified for the national soccer tournament, he hoped that a school would provide him a soccer scholarship. Toho academy approached him and proposed him a soccer scholarship in their school, but only if he won the championship. Later, Hyuga intentionally had Meiwa draw against Hanawa in order to lower the chance of Nankatsu qualifying from the group stage. However, Nankatsu still made it to the quarter-finals by defeating Hanawa. The day before the quarter-finals, an incident occurred in the canteen between Matsuyama and Hyuga, creating a rivalry between the two. Meiwa and Furano, Matsuyama's team, eventually met each other in the semi-finals. Neither were on top form for the whole match, with Hyuga having a fever and Matsuyama being injured. When the score was at 2-2, with Matsuyama and Hyuga both scoring, Furano was awarded a penalty kick. Wakashimazu came in at this moment and stopped Matsuyama's penalty kick. Hyuga then scored the victorious goal, and Meiwa won 3-2. This match helped Hyuga learn the importance of teamwork. In the final match against Nankatsu, he tried to score outside of the penalty area against Wakabayashi, in order to impress the Toho scouts. He soon realized that it was a mistake, however Nankatsu still managed to draw and win during extra time. After the match, Hyuga felt the joy of playing soccer again.
Boys' Fight arc EditMisugi who made his comeback in the finals of the Tokyo prefecture championship, his former coach Kira made him understand that he had became a tiger without fangs. So, Hyuga left Toho to train individually. Becoming a true tiger again, he came back to the team, but because of his selfish behavior, Toho's coach Kitazume didn't allow him to play in the tournament. Frustrated by this decision and because everyone was worrying about him, Hyuga eventually put his pride away, pledging his coach to let him play the final match. After seeing Hyuga's Tiger Shot defeat Wakashimazu, Sawada and Sorimachi all together, coach Kitazume agreed to have him back. Tsubasa and Hyuga put up a good fight, where the Drive Shoot and the Tiger Shot duel between each other, proving both player's tenacity. The match ended up being a tie, 4-4, and the two teams shared the victory.
Hyuga was chosen to be a member of the All Japan Jr. which would participated in the International Jr. Youth Tournament in France. He was temporarily his captain. After losing to Hamburg and failing to score against Wakabayashi, Hyuga trained very hard with a heavy black ball he received from coach Kira, in order to create a new shot, stronger than the Tiger Shot. He called it the Neo Tiger Shot and in the match with Italy, he scored against the perfect keeper, Gino Hernandez, with this shot. After winning the tournament, Tsubasa left for Brazil, and Hyuga promised him that he would stand at the top of Japanese soccer.
In the World Youth series, Hyuga was one of the 7 players to be excluded from the Japanese National team after they lost three group matches with Real Japan 7, because Hyuga was lacking post play. Determined to get back into the team, Hyuga went to Okinawa to train his post play, and also to develope a new shot. At first he couldn't find the answer for the new shot, but thanks to Maki Akamine and her winning pitch, the Riser ball, Hyuga was able to complete his new shot, the Raiju Shoot. He also developed a romantic relationship with Maki.
Road to 2002 arc Edit
Fight for a regular place in Juventus FC
In Road to 2002, Hyuga went to Italy and joined Juventus FC, in the Serie A. At first Hyuga had some problems because after Hyuga's physics test, the result was Hyuga was an unbalanced player because his right muscles is too strong. Hyuga trained really hard with the help of Juventus' physical coach Mazzantini to correct his body balance. After that, he was transferred to AC Reggiana, in the Serie C, thanks to coach Matilda Jinnosuke recommendation, since he saw great potential in the Japanese striker.
Captain Tsubasa: Road to 2002 - Go for 2006 (2004)
While training diligently alone n the practice field of Reggiana in order to fix his body imbalance and return to Serie A's Juventus, someone is watching Hyuga. That person turns out to be Reggiana captain Iuliano Gozza, a former Serie A player, whom Hyuga meets during the team practice in which they were put as opponents by decision of coach Matilda. This makes Hyuga happy as he now has a defined objective: getting past Gozza and scoring a goal.
After training following Juventus physical coach Mazzintini's notes, Hyuga goes jogging to the city to find something to eat. He find the Ristorante 21 and decides to try to eat there, despite some apprehension due to not being dressed in a proper manner. The chef and boos of the place turns out to be Gozza, who allows Hyuga to enter and gives him plenty of high quality Italian dishes. Gozza explains that the restaurant is a side business since he isn't a young player and he has to think what to do when he retires. Hyuga is surprised since he only entered because the food smelled good, not because someone told him of Gozza's shop. Gozza's ambition is to make AC Reggiana, his hometown, be promoted to Serie A before retiring, so he counts on Hyuga to do his part. Gozza does not allow Hyuga to pay for the meal, so, as thanks, Hyuga says that during training he will get past Gozza and score. When Hyuga leaves, Gozza notices that Hyuga came running from a long distance and also hears a strange sound. When Hyuga returns to his place, it is revealed that he has been wearing heavy metal chains in order to fix his body balance while training.
The manga continues the events of Golden-23, where Japan qualified for the Olympics. It focuses on japanese players performance in Italy and the important day on the finals of the Italian Serie C tournament. It is for the teams of both Kojiro and Shingo, the AC Reggiana and FC Albese respectively, for the rise in Serie B. After a hard match with two goals from Bobang and Shingo, Reggiana brings down Albese 3:2 with a Raiju Shoot from Kojiro, being able to make a hat-trick, and winning the serie C1 as first place. Due to Albinoleffe's defeat against Ravenna, Shingo's FC Albese was able to obtain second place so both teams are promoted to the Serie B.
Rising Sun arc Edit
Hyuga is placed as a two-top forward together with his long-time teammate Wakashimazu, forming the Meiwa Combi, a desired combi from coach Kozo Kira, being able not only to coordinate their play, but being able to use the Twin Shoot as well. In the match against Olympic Mexico, Tsubasa, Kojiro and Shingo made a vow to score a victory goal in the first half so as to prove they are worth to be Japanese Olympic players since they were concentrated in winning their respective European league tournaments.
Abilities and techniques Edit
Hyuga's physique even if it not proportionate to his body and he is right-footed, he has strong legs and loins, in order to face most players except those who are equal to him in shooting power or with greater body physique.
Physical techniques Edit
- Straight Line Dribble (Chokusen Teki Dribble): Instead of technique, Hyuga uses power to break through in a straight line.
- Tiger Pass
- Tiger Tackle
- Tiger Diving Head
- Overhead Kick
- Jumping Overhead
Combination techniques Edit
- Eagle Raiju Shoot (with Matsuyama)
- Korin Raiju Shoot: (with Jito) Hyuga uses Jito's back to jump higher and get the ball in mid-air, then do the Raiju Shoot as soon as he land.
- Senko Raiju Shoot (with Tsubasa and Misaki)
- Meiwa Combi (with Wakashimazu)
- Toho Combi (with Sawada) Their combi is the most powerful one just below the Misaki-Tsubasa combi. They were able not only to dribble many opponents but also Sawada helped Hyuga to jump using one of his foot to help him use the Tiger Overhead against Morisaki.
- Twin Shot
Special shoots Edit
- Raiju Shoot: Hyuga's most powerful shoot, introduced in Battle of World Youth. Hyuga created this shoot during his training after getting expelled by coach Gamo, Maki's signature pitch, the Riser Ball. By hitting the ground with his leg before shooting and using that reaction to fire his shoot, he made the shoot going near the ground at first and then going up in front of the goalkeeper. The shoot can bring down a big tree, just like it's struck by lightning. It is later revealed that this is the last shoot that Roberto taught Tsubasa before the World Youth, which he named the Sky Wing Shoot.
- Jumping Raiju Shoot
- Reactive Fast Kick Quick Gun (Han Dou Shuu Soku Jin Hou)
- Tiger Shot: After his training in Okinawa against the strong waves during a storm, Hyuga created the Tiger Shot, which is shot in a straight line of great power and speed, even able to get through the waves.
- Counter Tiger Shot: Used against Tsubasa Ozora in the Middle School Tournament Finals.
- Neo Tiger Shot: Schneider's Fire Shot, so Hyuga decided to train with coach Kira's black ball, a ball three times heavier than normal. With that, Hyuga managed to produce a shot that is even more powerful than the Tiger Shot.
- Wild Tiger Shot: Since the Raiju Shoot puts a lot of strain to the legs, Hyuga create another powerful shoot, by training with much smaller balls (such as tennis balls) and try to focus on the center of the ball, making more power transmitted into it.
- Drive Tiger Twin Shoot: Tachibana twins or the Misaki-Tsubasa combi twin shoot.
- Tiger Overhead: Used in assistance with Sawada.
- Jumping Tiger Volley
- Wild Jumping Tiger Volley
Games exclusive Edit
- Lightning Tiger (Captain Tsubasa 3, 4 and 5)
- Dragon Tiger (Captain Tsubasa 4)
- Final Tiger (Captain Tsubasa 5)
- Dragon Tiger Twin Shot (With Hino, Captain Tsubasa: Dream Team)
- Fire Tiger (With Schneider, Captain Tsubasa: Dream Team)
- Hyuga is the only rival of Tsubasa who had defeated the latter in a match.
- Before befriending Tsubasa in the Japanese national team, he was created to be the main antagonist to Tsubasa: his black uniform is the opposite of Tsubasa's white uniform, his strong and raw playstyle is the opposite of Tsubasa's clean and technical feats due to his name, the swordsman Sasaki Kojiro.
- His name is Steve Hyuga / Mark Lenders in the Latin American dub and some places in Europe.
- Hyuga's name is Bassam in the Arabic dub.
- He makes cameo apperances in episode 5 from Rosario + Vampire
- During the video-game alternative storyline, in Captain Tsubasa 3 and 4 he plays for Mexico City FC along with Ken Wakashimazu.
See also Edit
- ↑ It can even be infered that both characters have tsundere personalities, since they both have trouble to show their true emotions and try to use sports and willpower to show their affection, such as winning a tournament or a special match in order to ask the other one to go on a date or meet to see each other.